After wrestling with a 20 foot horizontal cable run through the attic, I finally decided to cut a 24×24 hole in the ceiling of the bonus room to access the other end of the run. The fiberglass “glow rod” proved too be too floppy, so I used 20 feet of 1″ PVC conduit to create a clear path for the cables.
All told, I ran 12 cables across 3 different rooms in the house, and used a little over 500 feet of cable. I say “phase one” is complete because there are 2 other bedrooms on the other side of the house that don’t really need wired coverage at this point.
Patching the drywall was the fun part. I definitely didn’t do a “pro” job, but with such high ceilings my work isn’t that noticeable.